The United Kingdom benefits from generally low crime rates, which have decreased over the past decade. However, while you are here and while you travel, you need to be aware of your surroundings.
- Cell phone theft is extremely common. Be cautious of putting your phone on the table in front of you or in a back pocket.
- Don’t leave your bags unattended, hanging off the back of your chair while in a cafe, or next to your chair
- Don’t constantly have your earphones in while walking through cities or be constantly looking down at your cell phone
- Avoid walking alone in isolated areas, including public parks, especially after dark
- Don’t allow anyone to distract you at an ATM.
- Don’t leave your drink unattended
- Don’t ever accept a ride from a mini-cab that you did not order. Women and men have been assaulted by drivers.
- Don’t display expensive possessions.
Useful US government websites with security advice:
1. American Citizens Abroad
The UK Home Office posts UK threat levels on its website.
Enroll in the US State Department Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. They keep you up to date with important safety and security announcements and can help your friends and family get in touch with you in an emergency.
The American Citizen Services section maintains a blog of easy-to-access information relevant to U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the United Kingdom.
Local Embassy and Consulate information is available below and at the Department of State’s list of embassies and consulates.
In an emergency
- 999 UK Emergencies: police/fire/ambulance
- +44 7754880730 Bianca Leggett, Resident Director
- 111 Non-emergency medical advice
- 101 Non-emergency police
Stay in your residence or university building and contact Bianca Leggett, your home, UK university international office and US contacts. Text, email or phone. If we ask you to come to the office or meet somewhere else, please do so.
Stay in touch with your family and friends in the US. They will be worried about you and won’t have full and accurate information.
If you are away from your normal residence in the UK make sure we know where you can be reached.
For offices at Cornell, Brown and Penn (police numbers 24 hours)
Cornell Abroad 001 607 255 6224 Cornell campus police 001 607 255 1111
Brown: OIP 001 401 863 3555 Brown campus police 001 401 863 3322
UPenn: OIP 001 215 898 9073 UPenn campus police 001 215 573 3333
Useful Security Contacts
U.S. Embassy London
24 Grosvenor Square, London W1K 6AH
Telephone from the United States: 011-44-20-7499-9000 (24 hours)
Consular fax: 020-7495-5012
Consular fax from the United States: 011-44-20-7495-5012
U.S. Consulate General Edinburgh, Scotland
3 Regent Terrace, Edinburgh EH7 5BW
Telephone from the United States: 011-44-13-1556-8315
Emergency after-hours telephone: 020-7499-9000
Emergency after-hours telephone from the United States: 011-44-20-7499-9000
Fax from the United States: 011-44-131-557-6023