Whether you are studying for one year or one semester, you will need a visa to study in the UK.


Check what type of visa you will need by filling out this questionnaire. Familiarise yourself with the different Student Immigration Categories. Read the UK Border Agency’s advice about studying in the UK.

If you are still unsure about what type of visa to apply for, the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is very helpful.

1) Important things to consider

2) Where, when and how to apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa

3) Where, when and how to apply for a Short Term Student Visa (formerly the Student Visitor Visa)

3) Financial Forms of Financial Documentation 

4) Top ten reasons why processing is delayed or applications refused (Tier 4). 

Please note that while the Cornell-Brown-Penn UK Centre strives to provide accurate immigration information, we are not qualified immigration officers. The most accurate information will be obtained from the official UK Border Agency website