You should begin by considering the counselling options which are available to you at your UK university. In some cases, it may also be possible to connect you with support services at home campus.

To find a reliable counsellor or psychotherapist, use the BACP’s search tool here.


The Brandon Centre        

A great FREE counselling service for young adults from 12 to 21 years of age. An emphasis is placed upon several sessions (each lasting around 50 minutes) to create a regular support network. Counsellors are trained and non-judgemental. Sexual health and pregnancy advice is also given.

Call to make an appointment with a counsellor: 020 7267 4792.

Address: The Brandon Centre, 26 Prince of Wales Road, London NW5 3LG

(7 minutes walk from Kentish Town, Camden Town and Chalk Farm tube stations)

For more information about counselling and therapists in London, the following link is also really useful:



Complete list of services (including those which are free to young people) here.


National Charities

Mental Health Foundation 

They help people to survive, recover from and prevent mental health problems


Mind believes no one should have to face a mental health problem alone. They’ll listen, give you support and advice, and fight your corner.

The Samaritans

A 24 hour free phoneline which offers a sympathetic and unjudgemental listening ear.

University services

Most universities have a branch of Night Line, run by student volunteers for fellow students. It’s a confidential service which runs throughout the night.


You may also find online community and advice offered by the NHS useful to you.